Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mom's Mexican Flan Recipe by Rebecca Cressman

My mother, Martha Porras-Brown Davis, made a wonderful Mexican Flan recipe. In honor of her, I am sharing her recipe for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Enjoy!

Mexican Flan

1 cup sugar
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup milk
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned Nestle Media Crema (Mexican food aisle)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Pour sugar in a small, heavy saucepan. Set it over medium-low heat until the sugar starts to liquefy and form clumps. Stir slowly and constantly as the sugar begins to liquefy and turn color.

Once the color turns to the shade of a bright shiny penny, remove from heat and quickly scrape the caramel into the bottom and sides of a deep 9 1/2 glass pie plate. The caramel will harden fast so to cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate, use oven mitts to tilt and rotate the plate while the caramel is still flexible. Set the prepared pie plate into a shallow roasting pan.

Boil 3 cups of water. While the water heats, mix the evaporated milk, condensed milk, milk, eggs, yolks, and vanilla in a blendar jar. Blend on very low, just until the eggs are blended. Add the can of Nestle Media Crema and blend again until smooth. Let stand for 1 minute, then use a spoon to skim off any foam on the surface.

Slide the oven rack out halfway and set the roasting pan with the caramel-lined pie plate on the rack. Pour the milk and egg mix into the pie plate. Pour the hot water into the bottom of the roasting pan just until it reaches halfway up the side of the plate.

Bake about one hour. Let chill for at least 2 hours and refrigerate until ready to serve.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this this A.M.with my granddaughter, I had no 'crema' but everything else. What does the 'crema' do for it? It would have ran over my pie pan with it!

susan said...

Any serving suggestions? Do you turn it over to serve? When?

Cindy Beck, author said...

Sounds yummy. Too bad I missed Cinco de Mayo, though. :)

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm so glad you're trying my flan recipe. The Media-Crema simply thickens and sweetens the flan, but you're right I typically have a cup or so of the mixture left over. You can serve it in a few hours after refrigerating or the next day, by using a pie slicer and scooping up a serving. Be sure to flip it over on the serving plate so the caramel topping is on top.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Thanks Melanie for voting! You're a sweetie. And yeah, Maggie's not included, but since I made her to (I'm her mom right?) she counts as a cutest craft, hee, hee!
I posted a review about the Scrapbox on my blog, if you’d like to see a pic, come visit!

Rachelle Christensen said...

Oh, and I wanted to say that flan looks so yummy! It's been forever since I've had it.
I posted info about my new Ribbon Box on my blog, it’s so neat! If you’d like to see details, please stop by!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

ArrevaEmiva
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/skin-cancer]skin cancer[/url]
NoneOrele